Thursday, September 22, 2011

Just like IHOP

I asked Mrs. Slagor, "Have you ever had the stuffed french toast at IHOP before?", she hadn't so I decided to make some here at school. I looked on allrecipes.com and searched "stuffed french toast". Only two recipes came up, so I picked one from the picture it had. I decided to make raspberry cheesecake stuffed french toast because I like cheesecake and french toast (it was a perfect match for me!).
--
Raspberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast (allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup raspberry jam
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 loaf french bread, cut into 1 inch slices
butter

Directions:
1. In a bowl, whisk milk, sugar, cinnamon into the beaten eggs until well blended. Set aside

2. In a separate bowl, cream together raspberry jam and cream cheese until smooth.

3. Make the sandwiches by cutting each slice of bread in half and spreading raspberry-cream mixture in the center, then top with other half.

4. Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet.

5. Dip bread into egg mixture and coat it thoroughly (that means the whole thing, all of it).

6. Cook until well-browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. When flipping, you might need a hand. Mrs. Slagor and I did it together with 2 spatulas.

7. Eat!
--

TJ Review:
It was good! You should make it. The cheesecake part was my favorite part because it was sweet with the raspberry jam. I made some changes to the original recipe. I didn't use nutmeg, powdered sugar, or vanilla because we didn't have those ingredients at school. I used white bread instead of French bread because they didn't have a loaf at Aldi, just a roll. I wanted more than just one roll!!

Total: $9.53 for 3 servings bought at Aldi.

3 comments:

  1. Taylor, this sounds really good, you are on a roll this week with good recipes! :) I wanted to tell you about another food blogger you might enjoy. Her name is Joy the Baker. She is funny, like you, and has good stories and yummy recipes. I am making her Carrot Cake Cupcakes Monday for a potluck at work. Check her out when you have time.
    http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/

    Bye for now!
    Carlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor - this sounds WONDERFUL! I haven't had stuffed french toast at IHOP either, but my mom makes a similar one on holidays.

    I think it's great that you are modifying recipes based on what is available. Good job!!

    ~Nikki~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor--This sounds delicious!! I want you to make it at home sometime soon...maybe even for dinner! We can have a breakfast dinner one night next week!! Yum!!

    Have fun and keep sharing your recipes with us!! It is so much fun to cook!

    I love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete